Local Justice System Responses to Methamphetamine
Join us for a special 90-minute webinar on the impact of methamphetamine use on local justice systems. The increased use of meth has prompted jurisdictions to develop tailored diversion programs, integrate effective programming into jail-based treatment, and transform reentry supports through cross-system collaboration to meet the needs of affected individuals and families.
This webinar will showcase the steps Sacramento County, California has taken in response to persistent high rates of methamphetamine and other drug use among individuals involved in the criminal justice system. It will feature five speakers that represent efforts across justice system intercepts including jail diversion, drug courts, in-custody programming, and re-entry supports. Speakers will share the approaches that have helped decrease overdose fatality rates in Sacramento County despite recent significant increases in statewide overdose deaths.
Upon completion of the webinar, participants will be able to:
- Describe potential outcomes of diversion, treatment, and continuing care for individuals involved in the justice system who use methamphetamine.
- Name at least two characteristics associated with effective methamphetamine treatment.
- Explain why cross-system collaboration is important to a comprehensive response to methamphetamine use and cite examples of key community stakeholders.
- Niki Miller, Senior Research Associate, Advocates for Human Potential, Inc.
- Lori (Vallone) Miller, Division Manager, Substance Use Prevention and Treatment, Sacramento County, California, Department of Health Services
- Andrew Mendonsa, PsyD, MBA, Behavioral Health Program Manager, Clinical/Forensic Psychologist, AMHCA Diplomate, Sacramento County, California, Behavioral Health Services
- Lieutenant Brad Rose, Sacramento County, California, Sheriff's Department
- Kathrina Cauckwell-Rafferty, LCSW, Director of Co-Occurring Continuum, WellSpace Health
- Graham Sargent, CADC-II-ICADC-ICCJP, Criminal Justice Program Manager, WellSpace Health